Thursday, October 9, 2008

SIFE Giving Back, Giving Gift Baskets

As a Parkie, I spend most of my days down in the Park school whether it be in the classroom, the photo lab, or the studios. But I will now be spending some time in the other Park school- the Dorothy D. and Roy H. Park Center for Business and Sustainable Enterprise or to use layman’s terms, the Business School.

I decided to join one of the most popular clubs within the Business School, Students in Free Enterprise (SIFE), an international organization at universities and colleges whose goal is “to expand economic growth and opportunity within local communities through activities that emphasize entrepreneurship.” In another words, the club focuses on creating volunteer projects that will help prosper economic activity within the community.

As a Journalism student, I have had little business experience and think it is important to have a basic grasp on the business field. I decided to join SIFE because I want to develop my entrepreneurial skills, an important factor when looking at the field of journalism as a business.

The need for these skills, along with the fact that my good friend, Jordan Berry, is the vice-president of communication and recruitment in SIFE, convinced me to venture into the other Park School.

SIFE’s latest project will appeal to both IC students as well as their families. “The entrepreneurial project we have going on now is a business that we’re starting on campus in which we sell gift baskets,” Berry said. The baskets come in a variety of themes including “College Survival Kit”, “Miss You” and “Candy Baskets.” Students can send the baskets to friends on campus and families can arrange for them to be sent to their children.

Keep an eye out for SIFE’s gift baskets, which are set to be up and running by Parents’ Weekend. Giving back has never been so easy or tasted this good! Mmm… “Candy Basket.”

-Ursula Fox-Koor

No comments: